Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wednesday July 8, 2009

MOUNTAIN TIME. I decided to take a shortcut this afternoon and I learned a lot. I camped at “Four Locks” last night at milepost 107. By the time I got to milepost 140 I was ready to see new country. The map showed that the river and the trail had a series of S curves that went for 20 miles. It also showed a straight road across the top that looked like I could save about ten miles and I decided to take it. I got off the trail at “Little Orleans” at about 5:30 pm.
The road turned out to be a hunting road up over the mountains in Western Maryland. The bike was too heavy to pedal up the hills so I pushed it up and rode it down. The country was beautiful. There were hunting chalets and sportsman’s clubs occasionally along the way. I camped at a neat hunting campsite arriving at 8:00 pm. It had a hitching post for horses and a big firepit. The best thing is that it had no mosquitoes.
However I worked so hard to get there that I was beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment