Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Monday July 6, 2009

BEAUTIFUL DAY FOR RIIDING. The weather was perfect, cool and clear. The scenery was tremendous, the Potomac on the left, C&O Canal on the right, canopy of tree cover overhead and riding through the forest I saw a lot of wild life. Deer were plentiful, I saw woodchucks occasionally and I even saw a fox.
I have met some really nice people so far: A man and his teen age son from West Virginia, a couple from Washington DC, a mother and daughter walking their dog and the daughter now lives in Spanish Fork Utah. I am even more friendly on the road.
Today was the day that I had my first episode of compensating for a less than perfect situation. I also had an accident. With the bike loaded the way it is, it tends to wander back and forth. The part of the C&O trail that I was on is quite narrow with steep drop offs on both sides. I was moving pretty fast, probably about 12 – 15 MPH and the bike floated to the left. I went over the embankment and got slammed pretty hard. The bike helmet broke in six places. My head would have broken if not for the helmet.
After doing damage assessment I found that I was bleeding from my head, the ortlieb panniers took a beating but nothing broke, the front wheel was bend so bad that it would not rotate.
I cleaned up my head and tried to figure out how to get the bike fixed. It was about 10 miles to a bike shop in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. I found that if I removed the disk brakes that the wheel would rotate so I removed the disk brake assembly and went for bike repairs in Shepherdstown.
I bought a new front wheel and a new helmet. The bike mechanic at “Shep Peddle and Paddle” was named Alan. He installed a new wheel, the disk from the old wheel and reinstalled the disk brake assembly that I had removed.
Alan told me if I put most of the weight on the front rack that the bike would handle better. I tried it and it worked amazingly well. The bicycle steering is now much more stable.
I did not make much progress today but at least I got the “trip accident” out of the way and I am back on the trail.
The crash happened at Dargan Bend – Milepost 63.
Got the bike repaired in Shepherdstown, WV – Milepost 73.
I camped at Big Wood – Milepost 83

4 comments:

  1. Dude! I had to google it but was glad to learn "ortlieb panniers" is a bicycle part and not part of your head!!! You told me once and I have forgotten, what brand and model is your bike?
    greg c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully now that the weight is set better there will be more smooth sailing. Glad you're not hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg,
    I was riding an REI Mountain Touring Bike - Novara Safari. It is a big, strong, go anywhere, great bicycle with fat tires. In my estimation it is one of the best touring bikes in the Mountain Bike category. For the same effort it does not go as far or as fast as a road touring bicycle.
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry I wish I was on this trip with you.....in my air conditioned car. be careful love you, Vickie

    ReplyDelete