Friday, July 3, 2009

REASONS FOR THE BIKE TRIP

We live in a complicated, interactive and interdependent society. Every day I go to work in a specialized and technical job. I spent most of my thoughts, activities and energies only indirectly related to the basic needs of life: Food, water, clothing, shelter, and social and familial interaction with others. My hours are focused on accomplishment and carrying out assigned tasks.

In most societies throughout world history regular people spent their energies directly related to obtaining their basic needs. I want to spend some unfocused time worrying about whether I am hungry, thirsty, cold, hot, tired or wet. I want to spent time finding food, trying to keep warm and dry and discovering and exploring unknown territory. I want to work hard with my body and not with my mind.

I also want to find out at my advanced age whether I can still plan and carry out extensive physical adventures. I want to find out if I could have made it in former pioneer times.

Admittedly my quest will be far different than the pioneers. Theirs was a journey of survival. Mine will be more a journey of self-discovery. I have maps that tell where the rivers and mountains are, show bridges and roads and cities and distances to each. My paths are paved so wheels can easily traverse. I do not have to carry a huge load of supplies. I do not need to hunt fish and kill animals for food because my agents have deposited caches of food and goods all along the way. I have a small plastic magnetically encoded card that is the key to unlock access to all of the supplies I will need. If I want to find something or need any type of information, I have a small crystal ball (iphone brand) that will tell me everything I want to know. It knows the location of all goods and services and will tell me how to get there.

I hope you enjoy following an idiot as he struggles with the unforeseen challenges and troubles that life will bring. I will record daily experiences and pictures on my laptop and will post them to this blog as I come across internet hotspots along the way. I am new to blogging but I understand there is an interactive element to them so if you have questions or requests just post them as comments on this blog or send them as email and I will try to answer each one.

5 comments:

  1. We love you Dad! You are in everyone of our prayers. We can't wait to see you in Utah. Jack can't wait to meet his adventurous grandpa. Please be careful! We hope your first night is dry. It is raining hard where we are. Love you!
    Fugals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Larry! DC will miss you, but we can't wait to hear about your experiences along the way.

    Be Safe!
    C Weidemann

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, Bro. Carter! I'm excited to follow you virtually on your journey - and live vicariously through you. What a challenge! Good for you!

    Bonnie Weidemann

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome, Pop-pop! We are excited to hear about all the adventures. You are an example to us of living life to the fullest. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! We are praying for you, but hope you want to quit in a month so you can join us at Lake Powell! :) We love you! The Carter Family

    ReplyDelete