Thursday, September 24, 2009


South Pass City is another old gold mining town. It has been restored as a historical district by the State of Wyoming.
South Pass was a critical gradual slope route through the Rocky Mountains and over the continental divide. All of the Pioneer Trails crossed it. Later on gold was discovered there.
To really understand what is going on you will have to read the next blog entry.
It is now late in the afternoon of Friday September 11. I still had to ride another 5 miles on a dirt road to get to Highway 28. I wanted to ride another 6 miles on Highway 28 and get to a Wyoming Rest Area to camp for the night.
I got to highway 28 and a minor miracle happened. I was riding downhill and I had a tail wind. It had taken me about 8.5 hours of riding, eating and relaxing to get to this point and I had only covered 26 miles on dirt. I had about 2 hours of sunlight left and I decided to see how far I could go. In the next 2 hours I covered 40 miles. I arrived in Farson Wyoming with sunlight to spare. The ride was exhilarating. I seemed so powerful. I sped downhill at 30+ MPH. I even powered up the rolling hills at about 18 MPH.
My suggestion is if you want to go on a bike ride choose downhill with a tail wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment